Saturday, August 9, 2014

Home Sweet Home - My Summer Garden Birdhouse

Hello Everyone:

Before I go into my long winded story about my Mom's garden, I just want to say one thing...I made this out of a Kellogg's Special K cereal box!!!!! Can you believe that! That's the true meaning of recycling in my opinion! For size reference, my birdhouse stands about 7" tall from the base to the roof peak.


When I think of summer, I think about home and my Mom's garden. My parents live in a small town up north that used to be a very busy ranch. The animals are gone and the kids have grown and moved out, but that beautiful garden is still there. My Mom built every bit of it by hand, collected every stone and planted every flower, it took her almost a decade, but if you could see it, you would understand how worth it, it was.

There is a little pond with a gorgeous rock waterfalls, a natural stone patio and walkway, a fountain that makes a soothing sort of noise that can't be described, and the flowers, all those beautiful flowers. My Mom loves birds and she has bird feeders and bird houses spread all around the garden, so there are always birds fluttering about making their little chirping noises. There's no place like it for me...it is the epitome of summer, it's the feeling of home sweet home...it's my happy place.

Mom, this is for you!!!



How did I do it??

- I drew my individual birdhouse pieces onto the cereal box and cut them out. I painted one side with several layers of white paint until all of the design of the box was covered. The other side, I painted brown for the inside.

- I applied a thick layer of home-made texture paste in uneven strokes on the white side. After it dried, I used  the Crafter's Workshop Woodgrain stencil and my texture paste to give the birdhouse more defined grooves and patterns. Let it dry, then I painted all the textured pieces with DecoArt Tan Crafter's Acrylic paint.

- Next came Tim Holtz stain Gathered Twigs, which I rubbed into the grooves and spritzed with water to let it pool in the valleys.

- Then I spritzed all the pieces with mini misters filled with diluted DecoArt Sun Yellow paint just to soften all the dark browns. I stamped on some summery images with Ranger Archival Coffee ink, then highlighted all the raised areas with a sponge dipped in white paint.

- Glued all the pieces together and magico, presto, the four walls are done-o!



- The eggs I made out of Martha Stewart polymer clay, painted them yellow and flicked some brown and white paint on them to get the spots. The border is also Martha Stewart - doily border punch.

- The flowers were made using Joy Crafts Flower 4 and coloured with Tim Holtz distress inks Squeezed Lemonade and Dried Marigold. The vines are Joy Crafts Flourish Branch 1 & Poppystamps Ivy Tendrils.

- The sign I cut out by hand and stamped by hand using an alphabet stamp set by Studio G.



- For the shingles, I textured an entire page with various paints, distress stains, distress ink pads and distress ink refills. I got the grain pattern by dragging the distress ink pad across the page.

- Then I cut the page up into 1" squares (rectangles for the top tier), distressed the edges and glued them on. Magico-presto-the roof is done-o!  Oops, I put one of the shingles on sideways! Ughh!


I would like to give a shout out to three challenge blogs that really inspired me this week to do something that I probably never would had tried without their creative challenges and their inspiring design teams:

They asked us to use 'junk' from our stash. Along with the cereal box that I used for the walls and the roof, I also made the nest with leftover moss from a potted plant and I used scrap papers to piece together the doily borders.  You should have seen the looks I was getting from hubby as I rifled through our junk cabinet! If he had seen the absolutely mind blowing DT creations, he would have understood.

Craft-Room Challenge - A Summer Garden
They asked that we tell them what inspired us to do our 'Summer Garden' project and that's what really got me thinking about my Mom's garden and sharing the beautiful details with you. Their DT creations were so full of summer colours and flowers, how could I not be inspired!

They asked us to make a project using a house as part of the design...so I just decided to make a whole entire house!! Here is the inspiration photo that they provided...isn't it cutsie!! I know it's a Christmas house, but I really wanted to go the summer route for this one. I send thanks to the talented design team for bumping my creativity up a notch with their fabulous designs!

 

***

I am also excited to enter my birdhouse into these wonderful challenges this week!




UPDATE: Template for my birdhouse
I have added my template here for anyone who would like to five it a go. I designed it myself and it's pretty easy to use. You can make it as small or as big as you like, as long as the pieces stay the same size, relative to each other. Solid lines are where you cut, dashed lines are where you fold. Just right click, open link in new tab and then save it to your computer. Have fun!



That's it for today, that was a long one!  Thank you for stopping in and for all the amazing comments. I read and appreciate every single one! If you have any questions, please let me know.


86 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Design just perfect for our challenge over at Suzy Bee's....Thank you for sharing with us,
    we look forward to you joining in with the fun again next time...
    Hugs
    Suzy B ( Owner )
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamellia! So beautiful!! I'm amazed you made this from scratch! Gorgeous! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous Pamellia! Love each and every element! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your lovely comments Nicola! I welcome you to My Little Craft Things with a big HUG! :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a fab project made with lots of love and passion, Pamelia. Loved the part that you love re cycling too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rupa! I jest knew that cabinet full of junk would come in handy some day!! lol

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous project Pamelia, absolutely stunning! Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! Have a great weekend! Hugs :)

      Delete
  6. Wow is all I can say to this stunning creation Pamellia,you are very talented :)

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna, for all your wonderful comments and for becoming my newest follower! I welcome you to My Little Craft Things with a huge smile!! :)

      Delete
  7. Stunning...love the birdhouse. Thanks for joining us on the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning make and so inspiring. It's amazing that a cereal box can be repurposed so beautifully. It's lovely to hear that we inspired you too

    Thank you so much for joining in with Hazel's Summer Garden Challenge at The Craft Room
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie! This was a great challenge and a really fun project! :)

      Delete
  9. Just love your stunning birdhouse:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing project!! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pamellia
    Thank you for becoming my 50th follower. Its very kind of you.
    As for your birdhouse, I wish I were a birdie so I could live in it! Beautiful and very creative of you.
    Loved your story about your Mum's garden. My Mum was very green fingered and I got my love of plants from her.
    Sadly, she's no longer with us but sometimes the scent of certain flowers remind me of her.
    Have a great weekend and good luck in your challenges.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your Mom, Ang. I'm glad I was able to bring you a fond memory of her. Thank you for your kind words today, I always look forward to hearing your thoughts! Have a great weekend! Many hugs :)

      Delete
  12. Oh Pamellia, this is so lovely. What a beautiful bird house you have made and so clever of you
    to use a cereal box. Stunning.
    Thank you also for the lovely comments you always leave on my blog.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, hugs-Veerle xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Veerle! Your kind words always make me smile!! Happy weekend to you too, hugs :)

      Delete
  13. WOW! This is absolutely stunning! I can't believe this started out as a cereal box. I love every little bit of it. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome birdhouse! Love all the texture and dimension! Thanks for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Pamellia, thank you for the lovely comments on my blog, and Wow! your summer birdhouse is just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debi and thank you for becoming my newest follower! I welcome you to My Little Craft Things with a great big hug!! :)

      Delete
  16. amazing Pamellia. Maybe you should send a photo to kelloggs to show them their boxes live on in beautiful creations. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful project! Thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a fab recycled (thank goodness for Kelloggs) little birdhouse Pamellia ! Fab design and beautiful decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. new site for me finding new ones every day ,fantastic project lots of work but it looks fab ,Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for allowing me to read your story on your blog , your love for your childhood home just oozes love and fond memories and it just bounces out of my screen ,
    Your Mum will be so proud of you and your talent im sure , such a beautiful project Well Done .
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elaine! I actually get my creative gene for her. She is a super talented lady! :)

      Delete
  21. This a real work of art and love, I just love making these, the Christmas one's are my favourite, but this stunning.....Would also love to see your Mum's garden, your description brought it to life...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janette and thank you for being a new follower! I welcome you with a big smile! I was thinking I might do another one in December for my end table, I had so much fun with this one. Hugs :)

      Delete
  22. What a gorgeous birdhouse! So many details and tine to make this beauty! You most be proud of it It's a wonderful creation!
    Hugs Helene

    ReplyDelete
  23. Came across your blog through a challenge blog,loved your works,they all are so pretty and shabby:).

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh wow ..Brill creation, wonderful recycling too...
    thanks for sharing your fab creation with us at CRAFTY CATZ x carol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your bird house is just stunning. I am really at a loss for words! It is so beautiful. Your details are lovely, and I loved reading the story and inspiration behind each detail. Very pretty. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW,what a wonderful comment! Thank you so much Rachel! Hugs :)

      Delete
  26. This took my breath away!! What a terrific project ... so very beautiful ... Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an adorable up-cycle project! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning birdhouse! So much detail and texture - I see something different each time I look at it!! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge "Stencils and Pastes" !!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is absolutely fabulous, thank you for sharing it with us at Craft-Room Challenge.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pamellia...this is just....WOW! I am so impressed with the way you embraced this challenge and created a true treasure from trash. The love and time you put into this are so evident....I love every single amazing detail from the itty bitty nest and eggs to the wonderful "cedar shake" shingles atop the roof. My hubby is a roofing contractor, so I am really impressed with your roofing skills! LOL Just wonderful, delightful, beautiful and inspiring! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Kathy...although I'm not sure my shingles would hold up in a storm! Thank you so much for the kind comment, I was really inspired by the up-cycle challenge and had a lot of fun doing my project! Hugs :)

      Delete
  31. A stunning creation, it's amazing that this started out as a cereal box! You have such a good eye for beautiful details.
    Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome creation.Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pallavi, and thank you for all your wonderful comments! Hugs :)

      Delete
  33. A stunning project. I love everything about it. Great detailing. Thank you for joining us over at Crafty Catz. Hugs Nina

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, this little birdhouse is fabulous! All the attention to details. Love it! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz this week. Cindy-GDT

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow stunning creation, fabulous recycling, love your story and all the paints as memories you've put on this birdcage. Did I say gorgeous, oh yes!
    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at Craft-Room Challenge;-))m
    I'm your new follower too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful compliment, Thank you!! And thank you be being my newest follower! I welcome you warmly to My Little Craft Things! Happy day :)

      Delete
  36. I love this birdhouse! What a fantastic upcycle project! Thanks for playing along with Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, I really enjoyed this challenge, so much fun!!

      Delete
  37. Hi, I had to pop over to see your birdhouse I seen this on Suzy Bee's blog. This is just simply gorgeous. I love birds and making birdhouses. Really like all the details you did it's just beautiful. :D
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a sweet little birdhouse. Love all the details. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is why we never throw anything away! Because one day, our saved junk can look like this! What a beautiful bird house! I love it, from the tip of the roof the the bottom edge! It is just stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment, thank you so much Gloria! :)

      Delete
  40. what a lovely birdhouse, may I rent the place? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  41. Absolutely STUNNING!! I hope you saved a copy of the pattern (and if you did, I would love to borrow it ) Thank you so much for sharing at Craft-Room Challenge ~ Christi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christi, I will have to check to see if I saved it or not. If I did, I will get it to you somehow. Hugs :)

      Delete
  42. This is fabulous! Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Here I am and yes it's amazing....I don't have all the goodies to make this but just adore it.xx
    The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a sweet story to go with such a sweet bird house. It's beautiful and your Mom's garden sounds lovely. Do you get to visit much? She seems like she was a huge inspiration for you...love that. Congratulations on your special win for this...very well deserved. I have been enjoying all the artwork I've seen you create. I will have to take a walk through your blog with a long cup of coffee soon. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aahhh, thank you so much Sara, you are so sweet!

      My parents live a few hours away and I don't drive, so sadly, I don't get to visit as often as I would like. Christmas, I would never miss though, and I try to get there once in the summer as well (to sit in the garden!). lol

      I welcome you to My Little Craft Things with a big huge crafty hug! :)

      Delete