Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Speed Craft Challenge

Hello Everyone:

Have you ever taken the time to watch the people in the park playing speed chess? Isn't that just nuts!! Good grief, it takes me a half an hour to figure out what shoes to wear. How the heck do they figure out, not just one move, but several moves - in a split second. That must be such a rush and terribly intense, all at the same time.

Well I got to experience this feeling first hand thanks to my super talented bloggy friend, Ingrid. She invited to play a game of speed crafting with some other really talented crafters, that's right, I said SPEED CRAFTING. The idea is this: get your products ready, start your timer, craft like crazy for 10 minutes, stop crafting when that timer goes off (and scares the bejeezuz out of you), and then take a photo of what you accomplished. So I ask you, how nuts is that!!

Sounded like fun, so I thought I would play along. Welcome to my 10 minutes of Speed Crafting!


I gathered all my supplies (the only prep work I did was to cut my papers to size). Then I started my timer. Feel free to zoom in, if you like. Just right click and open link in new tab.


It was so much fun, I spent the whole 10 minutes giggling to myself and grinning from ear to ear. There was a moment, just as the timer was about to run out, that I thought my heart might beat right out of my chest! How exhilarating!

Now that I have had a change to catch my breath, let me show you what I accomplished in the craziest 10 minutes of my crafty life! I know it doesn't look like much, but that pesky texture paste takes too darned long to dry!! lol


I have had a few questions about the "pretty patterned papers" that I use. I thought I would take the opportunity to let everyone know that all of my projects are done using blank paper that I have stamped, inked or painted. I don't own a single sheet of patterned paper, it's difficult to find around here, so I just make it myself. Plus, it's more fun that way and more messy!! 


I would now like to introduce you to the other four players of our 10 Minute Craft Dash:

Donna - Artfully Challenged
Donna is the queen of backgrounds! She has this amazing ability to use every type of media out there and blend them together into the most spectacular colours, designs and textures. There is always so many interesting things to see on every one of her creations! Just when I thought I had seen it all, she blows my mind again! What an artist!

Nikki - A2A - Addicted to Art
Nikki is a collage master! I don't know how she does it! She can take all these little bits that have no structure or appeal on their own, and put them together to form a symphony of visual design! Don't tell Tim Holtz I said this, but I think Nikki does Tim better than Tim does!! I recommend you not miss a single post!

Keren - Kerenbaker's Blog
Keren is a CAS expert! She has this uncanny talent of making negative space feel positive! For someone like me, that is beyond amazing!! A small splash of colour or a single embellishment turns one of Karen's cards into a beautiful creation...how does she do that!! With elegance and flair, that's how!

Ingrid - Ingrid's Crafts Corner
Ingrid is a fountain of variety! She does it all, vintage, grunge, mixed media, CAS, shabby chic, soft and feminine, she even paints...I could go on and on. She's not afraid to try new things and when something works, she shares her knowledge with everybody! I am constantly amazed by her ability to master everything she tries! I recommend you join me there, and we can all learn something new together!

I really encourage you to visit these ladies and see their craft dash results, and while you're there, have a look around. These are some extraordinary artists who constantly amaze me with their talent and inspire me with their creativity.

***

Here is a sneak peek of the finished card which I will be posting shortly. In total, it took me about five hours to complete. But I had a good 10 minute head start! lol



That's it for now, You can find the finished card HERE.


36 comments:

  1. Oh wow! you went for the paste! How brave! :D I didn't dare. Your card looks amazing already and I can't wait to see the masterpiece later on! The base already looks amazing as is so can't imagine what it looks like now... well, I can... gorgeous and fluffy :) hehe.. Thank you for the gorgeous badge, Pamellia! Your talents are endless. Hugs,
    Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid! I couldn't resist that darned paste! I put a really thin layer on, in hopes it would be dry by the time I finished the other layer, but no luck...I even used my heat gun!! I did get the ribbon cut and dyed and I antiqued the brooch, so it wasn't a total waste. I'm with you though, next time...CAS!! Hugs :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous as always Pamellia! I love all your hand designed papers - they are stunning. This one is another glory. You were brave, I went safe - I will try to be more courageous next time - LOL! Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! I was actually thinking the opposite, I need to change my strategy for next time and do something simple, HA! Hugs :)

      Delete
  3. I am totally into your feel Pamellia. My heart would jump out too when that darn clock almost reached its 10 minutes and when it would finally do and rings its bell I certainly would jump. Oh my I could never accomplish anything in 10 minutes. Sometimes it takes me up to an hour to gather the things I will be using since I constantly change my mind. Very often I leave everything where it is and take my supplies as my card goes.
    I cannot believe what Nikki did in these 10 minutes. Amazing. I am very exciting to find out what you have made. See you later, hugs Veerle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is that you get to gather everything together before you start the timer. It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. I need (or better said "I want") this stencil and those glitters, because I would LOVE to give this a try. Keeping my fingers crossed they are selling these things here. Thank you for the inspiration! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cebelica, if you do try it, let me know. I would love to see!! Hugs :)

      Delete
    2. Will do. :) But it might take me a while to gather all the supplies I need. ;)

      Delete
    3. Sounds great, you have 10 minutes! just kidding lol :)

      Delete
  5. What a great idea...but yes, 10 mins is CRAZY! You guys are a creative bunch. It's amazing that make your owm PP,hat's off to you, Pam. Waiting to see your master piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah just been over to Ingrid's and saw her design and you are crazy girls, love this work of art too, you amaze me in the short time to create something so beautiful.xxThe Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow,you really did go for it Pamellia,love what I can see of it already. I can't believe you make your papers,you are a superstar!

    Love your craft dash badge too,I think I might put that on my blog permantly as I love it so much :)

    Double hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! Ya, I didn't realize everyone was aiming to actually finish a card. Oh well, it was fun, finished card or not! Big hugs :)

      Delete
    2. Well, the badge is already up on my blog ;)
      Finishing the card or any other project in 10 mins is the goal, yes :) you're funny! :)

      Delete
    3. Note to self...no more texture paste! :)

      Delete
  8. OMG!! WOW!! This is a masterpiece! I have no words to describe how impressed and amazed I am with this card! Calling it masterpiece is just scratching the surface of truth...oh, and of course, a BIG congrats on guest designer spot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo so much Samra for the praise and the congrats!! What a wonderful comment!! Hugs :)

      Delete
  9. BEAUTIFUL!!! OUTSTANDLINGLY YOU!!! Just breath takingly elegant... You are something else girl... love it all... magnificent 'card' .... Love, Light and peace..Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my dear crafty friend! Big hugs :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had lots of fun.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, did I ever! I am a clean-as-you-go person, and this was the first time I ever just flung that over here and threw that over there...it was quite liberating! lol :)

      Delete
  11. I could never manage 10 minutes, sounds like you had a great time. It looks like its going to be a gorgeous card.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad, I didn't manage it either! I was the only one who didn't get my card finished. Oh well, I had a lot of messy fun anyway! :)

      Delete
  12. Wow.I don't think I can ever do this.It will take me 10 minutes to just calm myself down after the panic attack.:-).I am also glad that you shared that you don't use pattern paper at all.How awesome is that and I am very proud of you.I am a hoarder of paper.Shameful really! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pallavi! I think if there was a convenient place to purchase the paper, I just might do so. I look at other people's cards with the gorgeous florals and think how stunning they are! On the other had, it's fun to do it yourself, ha! :)

      Delete
  13. I just have saw the final product before to see this post So I was sure you have started with kraft paper instead of white paper That's fun to see how you began this masterpiece. I would like to know what,s the name of your big white roll and where you buy this? It looks like cheez cloth but it,s not...I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white roll I bought it at a local wedding supply shop here in Toronto, it feels like it must be silk, but I can't be sure. All the tag says is "Wedding Mesh". It is really amazing stuff, fun to work with and you can use it in a bunch of different ways. It's what I used to make the ribbon tie on the anniversary card. Good luck and big hugs to you! :)

      Delete
  14. Amazing Pamellia all that work in just 10 minutes outstanding !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I went a little over the ten minutes...silly texture paste took too long to dry! lol

      Delete
  15. Hi Pamellia
    Just catching up. My goodness, 10 minutes to come up with something? Jeepers, it takes me 10 minutes to swig my coffee, have a nosey out of the window, settle in my seat and decide what I'm doing lol! The timer would be buzzing before I touched a piece of card hahaha! My creative genius needs a slow build up lol!
    Have a great weekend.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Ang!! The idea was to finish a card in 10 minutes, ya right!! I'm like you, I prefer to take my time and sip my coffee while I ponder on life and love. Great minds think alike, I guess. Hugs :)

      Delete
  16. Haha wow, what a fun idea! I love what you created in 10 minutes and am so interested to learn that you create all your own backgrounds - very inspiring! :)
    Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! Making my own backgrounds takes longer, but in the end, it feels great knowing I did it myself. Hugs :)

      Delete